Audio files are contributed by volunteers
- If a sentence doesn't yet have audio, it's because nobody has recorded one for us.
- If you would like to help by recording audio, please read the instructions below.
How to contribute audio (The short and simple version)
- Record two or three audio files and send them to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can check the audio quality.
- In the email message, tell us your username
- One of us will write back to you.
- The best way to record for us is to use the Shtooka Recorder (See bit.ly/shtooka.)
- If you do not read English well, you do not need to carefully read the rest of this page.
How to contribute audio (Details)
- You must have a good microphone because sound quality is important.
- You should only record audio in your strongest (native) language.
Send us samples
- Pick a few random sentences (just two or three), record them, and send us the samples at email@example.com. This way we can evaluate whether the sound quality is good enough.
- Use the following subject for your email: Audio for Tatoeba in [language_name].
- We will contact you back as soon as possible to let you know if you can continue recording.
Make a list of sentences to record
- If your audio is good enough, you can either create your own list of sentences to record, or use the list that we sent you.
- If you wish to create your own list:
- Create a list on Tatoeba and add to it all the sentences you'd like to record.
- Download the list. On the download page, make sure to select the Shtooka record file format.
- If you choose to use the list that we sent you:
- Verify that the sentences sound natural to you and do not have any mistake.
- If a sentence doesn't sound natural or has a mistake, remove it from the list. Do NOT record audio for a sentence that has a mistake.
- We would appreciate that you also post a comment on the sentence on Tatoeba so that the sentence can be corrected.
- Also, if there are any sentences that you do not feel comfortable recording (because they are too vulgar for instance), simply remove them from the list.
- If you are a Windows user, we recommend that you use Shtooka Recorder. It will allow you to get things done more quickly. You can read CK's Shtooka Recorder page for more instructions.
- If you can't use the Shtooka Recorder, see CK's page explaining how you can use Audacity.
- If you are a Linux user, you can use swac-recorder, but we do not have detailed instructions for it. Audactiy seems to be the better choice.
- We prefer to get the full-quality audio files, so we can convert them into MP3 files ourselves for online and archive the full-quality audio for possible future higher-quality encoding methods.
- Tatoeba doesn't provide a way for audio contributors to upload directly their audio to the website. You will have to upload your audio somewhere else (for instance Dropbox, or Google Drive).
- Send us the link to download your audio. We will then upload them to the website as soon as possible.
If you need additional help, please contact CK via a private message, and he will try to help you.