GSoC Application Requirements
Before you apply
When you apply for something, whether it is a job position or anything else, you first need to to understand what kind of people the organization is looking for. Whatever your skills, if you are not that kind of person, chances are your application will be rejected. And if you are exactly that kind of person, chances are you will get accepted even if your skills and experience are low.
In order to save you (and us) time, we would like to make our utopic ideal student profile clear. Remember nobody is supposed to perfectly fit. Take it as a way to tune your application in your favor rather than an evaluation scheme.
- You are a language enthusiast and you are speaking more than one language at fluency level.
- You made a substantial number of contributions to the Tatoeba corpus.
- You are using Tatoeba to achieve some personal project.
- You are contributing to open-source software projects.
- You will stick with us after the end of the GSoC.
What to write in your application
We provide below a template to help you organize your application. You are not required to follow this template. Feel free to organize your application in the way that makes the most sense for your project.
If you decide to follow our template, do not include the questions that we have listed. You do not need to follow the order of the questions either. The questions are only here to give you an idea of what information we are expecting to find. Simply write your application in a way that is easy to read and contains overall the information requested. And please be honest.
- Email address
- Tatoeba profile page
- GitHub profile page
- What problem(s) are you trying solve?
- Why are these problems important to solve?
- What are your solutions?
- How will you implement them?
- What kind of maintenance will your code need after GSoC?
- If you have an ambitious project, what part of your project is realistically achievable in the GSoC timeframe?
- What kind of preparations do you plan to do during the community bonding period?
- What will you do each week when the coding period start? The schedule doesn't have to be exact.
- Do you have any other commitments during the GSoC work period (exams, vacations, etc)? Please include them in your schedule.
- What skills do you have that are relevant for the project? This is not restricted to programming skills.
- Can you show us any example of things that you've done that proves you have the skills?
- What skills will you need to learn?
- What is your past experience in open-source/free software projects?
- Can you show us any example of code that you're proud of?
- Do you have experience working in a team, or have you mostly developed software projects on your own?
- When did you discover Tatoeba?
- Do you use Tatoeba on a regular basis?
- Have you applied/particpated to GSoC in a previous year?
- Why did you choose to Tatoeba for GSoC?